Khan al Ahmar
Here’s what happened:
- On Sunday, Feb 19th, the Israeli Army surrounded the West Bank Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan Al Ahmar, going house to house to issue stop-work orders against all 146 structures with notice of demolition set for Thursday Feb 23rd. Recognizing the new stop-work orders as an end run to bypass the High Court, Attorney Shlomo Lecker, the distinguished lawyer for Khan Al Ahmar, immediately sought — and received — a letter from the High Court stating that no demolition orders could be issued before Thursday, March 2nd. Human rights advocates from groups including B’tselem, Rabbis for Human Rights, Jahalin Solidarity, Bimkom, and Ir Amim were onsite immediately to help sound the alarm.
- The Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan al Ahmar in the West Bank is located between the Israeli settlement of Ma'ale Adumim and one of its elite suburbs, Kfar Adumim, in the E1 corridor of the West Bank. To allow for Prime Minister Netanyahu’s visit with President Trump, the Israeli Knesset deferred voting on a bill in January to unilaterally annex Ma’ale Adumim and surrounding area — but the U.N. reports that Israel's demolitions of Palestinian homes, barns, and wells have aggressively escalated.
- Diplomats from the U.N., the E.U., and many European governments, along with Palestinian officials, visited the village last week and expressed their concern to their Israeli counterparts. So far, the U.S. is absent; there’s been no visit by the U.S. Consul General. That’s where American Constituents — you, your family and friends, me, my family and friends, we — make all the difference.
- Jahalin Solidarity, www.jahalin.org, will soon be releasing:
High Hopes, a film by Oscar Award nominee and International Emmy Award Winner Guy Davidi, Produced by Angela Godfrey-Goldstein, Music Pink Floyd
View the Trailer
- Record number of demolitions and displacements in the West Bank during 2016
United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Posted on 10 February 2017 as part of The Monthly Humanitarian Bulletin
"During January 2017, OCHA recorded the demolition of 140 structures by
the Israeli authorities, displacing around 240 Palestinians and affecting another 4,000. The number of structures demolished during the first month of the year was over 50 per cent higher than the monthly average of structures targeted in 2016" [the year with most demolitions ever recorded]
- B'Tselem Video | Stop-work orders served in Khan al-Ahmar, Feb. 2017
On 19 February 2017, large numbers of Civil Administration personnel and police arrived at the Khan al-Ahmar community, which is located ...
- Israeli Hard-Liners Want to ‘Go Big’: Annex an Israeli Settelement
by Ian Fisher NYTimes Jan. 30, 2017
Quoting Eid Abu Khamis, spokesperson for Khan Al Ahmar
- Khan al Ahmar article on Wikipedia
- Protesters organize sit-in at Khan al-Ahmar school slated for demolition
Maan News Agency, Feb. 23, 2017
- Development of E-1, in Ir Amim’s newsletter:
- Ir Amim’s Position on the Proposed Legislation to Annex Ma’ale Adumim
- The Bulldozers and the Bedouin
by Amira Hass about Khan al Ahmar, Haaretz, Feb 24, 2017
- Prime Minister, don’t annex Ma’ale Adumim
by Major General (Ret.) Amnon Reshef is Founder and Chairman of Commanders for Israel's Security, Times of Israel