Emboldened by our President, Israeli settlers are pressing for fast track demolition of the entire Palestinian village of Khan Al Ahmar, including their school with 172 students, mosque, medical clinic, and all their homes. Demolition will happen as soon as Thursday. The children need your help. Here's how:
2. On Monday, please call your members of Congress
Ask to speak to their Senior Staff for Foreign Policy
to confirm that they've received your email
3. Join a Stay Human Conference Call
on Wednesday, March 1st
11am Pacific / Noon Mtn / 1pm Central / 2pm Eastern / 9pm Jerusalem time
We're using the Rebuilding Alliance Forum to see and hear from Mr. Eid Abu Khamis, community leader in Khan al Ahmar, directly from his home. A distinguished rabbi from Rabbis for Human Rights who has been working with the Jahalin Bedouin community for many years will also join the teleconference.
Here’s what happened:
- Last Sunday, Feb 19th, the Israeli Army surrounded the West Bank Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan Al Ahmar, going house to house to issue stop-work orders against all 146 structures with notice of demolition set for Thursday Feb 23rd. Recognizing the new stop-work orders as an end run to bypass the High Court, Attorney Shlomo Lecker, the distinguished lawyer for Khan Al Ahmar, immediately sought — and received — a letter from the High Court stating that no demolition orders could be issued before Thursday, March 2nd. Human rights advocates from groups including B’tselem, Rabbis for Human Rights, Jahalin Solidarity, Bimkom, and Ir Amim were onsite immediately to help sound the alarm.
- The Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan al Ahmar in the West Bank is located between the Israeli settlement of Ma'ale Adumim and one of its elite suburbs, Kfar Adumim, in the E1 corridor of the West Bank. To allow for Prime Minister Netanyahu’s visit with President Trump, the Israeli Knesset deferred voting on a bill in January to unilaterally annex Ma’ale Adumim and surrounding area — but the U.N. reports that Israel's demolitions of Palestinian homes, barns, and wells have aggressively escalated.
- Diplomats from the U.N., the E.U., and many European governments, along with Palestinian officials, visited the village last week and expressed their concern to their Israeli counterparts. So far, the U.S. is absent; there’s been no visit by the U.S. Consul General. That’s where American Constituents — you, your family and friends, me, my family and friends, we — make all the difference.
How this works:
- Every Senator and every Representative — both Republican and Democrat — promises to help their Constituent (you) to resolve an urgent issue with any Federal agency . THIS IS AN URGENT ISSUE. When they call the Israeli Embassy or Consulate on your behalf, they get the Government of Israel's full attention, and their call to the State Department will bolster the U.S. Consul General's action.
- Please note, this really works. For years members of Congress have been intervening to keep Susiya Village and Al Aqaba Village standing. As word spreads and more constituents join you, even the most conservative legislators will (quietly) take action. Once you send your email, Rebuilding Alliance will schedule a conference call briefing with your representative's staff, and we'll invite you to join the call.
Thank you for sending that email, making those follow-up calls, and for all that you do.
- Jahalin Solidarity, www.jahalin.org, will soon be releasing:
High Hopes, a film by Oscar Award nominee and International Emmy Award Winner Guy Davidi, Produced by Angela Godfrey-Goldstein, Music Pink Floyd
View the Trailer
- Record number of demolitions and displacements in the West Bank during 2016
United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Posted on 10 February 2017 as part of The Monthly Humanitarian Bulletin
"During January 2017, OCHA recorded the demolition of 140 structures by
the Israeli authorities, displacing around 240 Palestinians and affecting another 4,000. The number of structures demolished during the first month of the year was over 50 per cent higher than the monthly average of structures targeted in 2016" [the year with most demolitions ever recorded]
- B'Tselem Video | Stop-work orders served in Khan al-Ahmar, Feb. 2017
On 19 February 2017, large numbers of Civil Administration personnel and police arrived at the Khan al-Ahmar community, which is located ...
- Israeli Hard-Liners Want to ‘Go Big’: Annex an Israeli Settelement
by Ian Fisher NYTimes Jan. 30, 2017
Quoting Eid Abu Khamis, spokesperson for Khan Al Ahmar
- Khan al Ahmar article on Wikipedia
- Protesters organize sit-in at Khan al-Ahmar school slated for demolition
Maan News Agency, Feb. 23, 2017
- Development of E-1, in Ir Amim’s newsletter:
- Ir Amim’s Position on the Proposed Legislation to Annex Ma’ale Adumim
- The Bulldozers and the Bedouin
by Amira Hass about Khan al Ahmar, Haaretz, Feb 24, 2017
- Prime Minister, don’t annex Ma’ale Adumim
by Major General (Ret.) Amnon Reshef is Founder and Chairman of Commanders for Israel's Security, Times of Israel